Factors That Increase Klotho Levels
The role of Klotho protein in human health and disease is not fully clear. Improving your Klotho levels won’t necessarily cause health improvement of any kind.
The following is a list of factors and complementary approaches that may increase Klotho levels. Additional large-scale studies are needed before making any conclusions. Remember to talk to your doctor before making any major changes to your day-to-day routine.
- Exercise – in both humans and mice. Klotho only increases post-exercise in people who completed a 16-week training program, with younger people having a bigger increase than older people. Based on mouse studies, it’s believed that muscle injury and new muscle cells secrete Klotho
- Vitamin D (Calcitriol) increases Klotho. However, Vitamin D supplements apparently don’t work in humans to increase Klotho, even when calcitriol goes up. In dialysis patients, vitamin D supplements actually decrease Klotho
- Insulin increases klotho. This is one downside to a really low carb diet
- PPARgamma activators
- Activated charcoal by binding to a toxin that decreases klotho (Indoxyl sulfate)
- Probiotics such as Acidophilus + L Lactis in aging mice
- Cordyceps reverses the Angiotensin IIdecrease in klotho
- Gentian root extract – might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production
- ACE inhibitors
- Statins (HMG -CoA reductase inhibitors) – might simply stabilize some part of the process after its production